Monday, February 11, 2008

Stevie the Pointer

Attended the RA conference at UW-Stevens Point this weekend. I've been to Stevens Point a lot through DI and visiting my sister, so it was really cool to see the renovated UC. It kind of looked like an airport.

Although the conference was less spirited and fun than WURHA, the programs I went to were a lot more useful and interesting. I'll outline a couple of my favorites:

Build Your Billboard - We made 'billboards' for ourselves with markers, stickers, and magazines. Then we looked at everyone's billboards and said what we thought they meant. The point of the program was that we may come off differently than we intend to, so we should watch what we say/do/show to portray ourselves accurately.

More Than Just A Pretty Face - We talked about body image for a bit, then we wrote a list of things we didn't like about ourselves on a notecard. Then, we ripped up the notecard. We got mirrors and we went around the room looking at other people and writing something good looking about them on their mirror. It was a great program because everyone felt good about themselves after, and if I have enough funds to get mirrors for my floor, I fully intend to put this program on.

Back To Kindergarten - Intended as a stress-reliever program, we watched cartoons while eating fruitsnacks, fingerpainting, and playing with Play-Doh. I think that this program would also go over very well with my floor of art students, especially during midterms.

I also enjoyed 'A Complaint Free World', which can be found at acomplaintfreeworld.org

It is time for class, so my tea and crackers and I are signing out. Peace!

No comments: